All right, Vanatics, it’s time to get excited! Occupant had its World Premiere last night, October 14th at 7.00 p.m. as the featured screening for the Gotham Screen International Film Festival.
There is a second showing tomorrow night, Sunday, October 16th at 10:15pm. Tickets are still available and Occupant’s producers have confirmed on their Facebook page that they will again be giving away posters autographed by star Van Hansis.
The premiere showing at Quad Cinema in Manhattan was well attended and included many of the people involved in making the film, including actor Thorsten Kaye. The GSIFF organizers have posted a gallery on their Facebook page including these images:
If you can’t attend, you can still:
- put OCCUPANT in your Netflix queue,
- review the film on Netflix, and
- vote for it on IMDB.com (rate and review it)
Van will make a return appearance to Ryan Holmes’s BlazinRy channel on BlogTalkRadio this coming Monday evening at 8.00 p.m. Eastern Time/5.00 p.m. Pacific. He mentioned on his Facebook that he would be talking about Occupant, Psych, Wedding Day and about when he can be seen next on TV. Fans can call in live or join fellow fans in the BlogTalkRadio chat room.
In the meantime, here’s what I can tell you about Occupant:
- Van carries this picture – the way Dan Radcliffe carries the Harry Potter franchise. He is in virtually every scene and the entire film revolves around him. That by itself pretty much makes this a must-see for any Van fan. Not quite every scene is shot from his POV, but it’s pretty close. He probably has over an hour of screen time – that’s like a month or two in soap-years.
- Van has described this as a psychological thriller. And that, it is. While there are “jump” moments and there is a body count, this is definitely not a cheap-scares slasher flick. There are a LOT of things that make you go “hmmm….” (though I can’t comment on whether I am being slowly drawn into the ending or whether I’ll be blindsided since I haven’t seen it!).
- Despite spending a non-negligible portion of screen time hitting the bottle (and with the week Danny Hill is having, who would blame him?!?), there’s no sign of DrunkyLuke. Or sober Luke, for that matter. And that’s a good thing. Van has created a new character definitely distinct from Luke Snyder (though he somehow has Luke’s voice, and happily still has Luke’s dimples!)
- Shallow alert: there’s a shower scene (!).
- Based on the first 1:15, there’s not much to warrant an R rating – well, except for some language that Luke Snyder would only use in fan-fiction! Alas, this applies to the shower scene as well….But I couldn’t watch the final 10 minutes due to technical difficulties, and am told things get more…interesting in the film’s closing act.
The complete list of outlets where you can watch Occupant upon its general release, October 18th can be found on the film’s official website.
Download options will include Netflix, iTunes, Amazon Video on Demand, Cinema How, xBox 360 Live, Playstation 3 and Vudu HD Movies. You can also watch via cable video on demand via most of the major players including Comcast, Time-Warner Cable, Cox Communications, Cablevision, AT&T U-verse, Verizon, Charter Communications, Sudden Link, Mediacom, and RCN Television.
Occupant producers report that the DVD will be available in November. Many of you have probably already seen the new poster/cover art as it is apparently shown on Netflix:
I’m not sure if the DVD will be available for general purchase on October 18th, but if you live outside North America, and do not have access to a Region 1 DVD player, if you’re not already familiar with this, it is worth checking into whether or not a DVD unlocking code is available for your DVD player (or a friend’s). More information on making DVD players multi-regional can be found here.
In the meantime, don’t forget to Like the trailers on Vimeo.
A screencap gallery will be posted shortly, so stay tuned….